There! That’s how I feel about Dynamics most of the time.
Off the top of my head, here is a short list of those Dynamics features that make me feel like Einstein (mind you, that does not mean I’m going to invent another great theory.. but, at least, I can feel the same:) ):
1. Certainly Editable Grids are there now
Yes, but.. not if you are looking at the opportunities associated view subgrid:
2. We can certainly customize Dynamics forms
Yes, but.. not if it’s a “Opportunity Close” dialog (or others like that)
3. We can certainly add filters to the views
Yes, but.. not if it’s a “quick search” view
4. We can certainly use date time conditions such as last x months
Sure we can.. but not unless we are talking about the rollup field filters
5. We can certainly add reports to the entity forms
Sort of.. although, there is that price list entity.. for which we can’t.
6. For sure we can store documents in Sharepoint
Not a problem at all. That’s unless you want to use those documents with the Portals online – you are out of luck if that’s the case.
7. And of course we can customize customer portals on the server side just like we used to do with AdxStudio.
Weeelll.. You know we can’t, right?
8. Here is a good one.. We can not use backspace to clear lookup fields in Dynamics online.
Actually, it’s been fixed in one of the recent updates (not sure which one, but it works in the most recent trial).
9. There are older ones, such as: we can configure security per entity, but not if that’s an activity entity. We can register plugins per entity.. but, of course, not if it’s a order item entity.
And so on and so forth. From a certain standpoint, I like it. If it were all certain and clear, why would anybody need consultants! But, of course, I would probably prefer a bit more certainty.
BTW, feel free to add to that list in the comments to this post:)